COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF IN-HOUSE WORKSHOP ON IPSAS BUDGETING ORGANISED FOR MEMBERS OF THE SEVENTH AKWA IBOM STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY.
This communique was presented by Rt. Hon. (Barr) Aniefiok Dennis Akpan. Chairman, Communique Committee.
The Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Committee on Finance and Appropriations hosted a workshop for members of the Seventh Assembly
The workshop was held between Wednesday 23rd October and Friday 25th October, 2019 at the Lagos Continental Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
The essence and aim of the workshop was to better equip Honourable Members and legislative assistants for International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) budgeting process and monitoring.
The resource persons who included accountants, economists and academics were knowledgeable in budgeting and legislative process with cognate experience in their respective fields. They included the Director-General, National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies, Abuja, Nigeria, Professor Abubakar Sulaiman, Femi Tolu Oriyomi, a renowned economist and Accountant, Deacon Akpan S. Umoh, Chartered Accountant and Prof. Emmanuel Onwioduokit.
- The resource persons and the participants agreed that the implementation of the Financial Autonomy for State Legislatures and State Judiciaries of which the 1999 Constitution (as amended) has already made provision for would enhance efficient and effective democratic practice with respect to the State House of Assembly thereby strengthening the budget process.
- The participants observed the commitment of Government to making effective the reforms introduced by the autonomy, IPSAS, Treasury Single Account and other such reforms and noted that good governance anchored on transparency, accountability and rule of law would prevail in our State and country, Nigeria, as the financial resources of the State shall be effectively and efficiently harnessed and applied for the benefit of the people.
- The participants agreed that the Government of Akwa Ibom State led by his Excellency, Mr Udom Emmanuel, has not lagged behind but has shown laudable evidence in adoption of the reforms in his budgeting process
- The participants particularly applauded the Governor for the early presentation of the budget to the Assembly in the hope that the budget will be processed and passed within reasonably time to facilitate the ‘Completion Agenda’ of the State Government.
- The participants called on MDAs (Ministries, Departments and Agencies) and all stakeholders in Akwa Ibom project to cooperate with the Committee on Finance and Appropriations and indeed the House of Assembly in order for it to properly deliver its work for the benefit of the State in the four stages of the budget cycle namely: preparation, enactment, implementation and oversight/auditing
- The participants noted that zero based budgeting in implementing IPSAS budgeting will eliminate obsolete and non-relevant package
- The participants agreed that democracy anchored on good governance will better serve the interests of all stakeholders where the arms of government operate in collaboration and co-operation to perform functions assigned to them by the Constitution and the laws of the land.
- The participants generally agreed that budget must be enacted before the commencement of the financial year, properly implemented and that exercise of legislative oversight is absolutely necessary to ensure that appropriated funds are judiciously spent.
The participants extend gratitude to the Akwa Ibom State Governor, His Excellency, Mr. Udom G. Emmanuel, for approving this workshop and for giving Akwa Ibom State its pride of place as one of the few IPSAS compliant States.
Our gratitude also goes to the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Aniekan Bassey, Chairman, House Committee on Finance and Appropriations, Rt, Hon Uduak Odudoh, Hon. Members, Mr. Akan Okon, Hon. Commissioner for Economic Development and Ibom Deep Seaport, the Clerk and staff of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly for their contributions to the success of the workshop.
We appreciate the part played by the Media in publicising the workshop and the management of Lagos Continental Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos for their hospitality.