- Chief Emmanuel Ntia, JP(1920 – 2018AD) . Ette Ntia, as he was popularly known, hailed from Etokudo of Otoro Clan, Abak LGA. A foremost and one of the big three vocalists in Nigeria in the 1950s is the first Nigerian musician to create his musical style known as ” Shokolokshok”. Chairman, PMAN Cross River State and Akwa Ibom State and an anti piracy crusader. He was crowned grandmaster of entertainment in South South Nigeria.
- Obong Joseph Mascymon Ito (1890 – 1990 AD) hailed from Nyar Enyin Ntong Uno of Amaanyam clan in Ikot Ekpene LGA. He obtained class Seven Certificate in 1915 and was employed in her Majesty’s Customs and Excise Department. He was a member of the House of Assembly, Eastern Nigeria and the first Clan Head of Amanyam clan.
- Mrs. Elizabeth Ekong (1937 – 2017) hailed from Ikot Ekpene, Educated at the University College, Ibadan and the Royal College of Nursing, London and return to the Mercy Hospital, Abak as the Hospital administrator. She became the first nurse South of the Niger to ascend to the position of Commissioner for Health in Cross River State and attracted UNICEF to launch and implement the component of Primary healthcare in Nigeria.
- Mrs Victoria Fiama Akitobi (1927 – 2005) hailed from Nyara Enyin Ntong Uno in Amanyam Clan in Ikot Ekpene LGA. She trained at the Royal Gwent Hospital, New Port Mon, South Wales, United Kingdom where she qualified as a Staff Nurse; certified midwife at the South London Hospital for Women and Children in 1953. A seasoned hospital administrator, she earned her rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Nigerian Army and was a Commissioner in Nigeria’s Public Service Commission.
- His Highness Obong Ikpe Umo Imeh, OON(1906 – 2004) hailed from Onuk Ukpom in Abak LGA. Foremost teacher, administrator and politician, he was on the delegation to the United Kingdom to wrestle the powers that be for the Independence of Nigeria. First Deputy Speaker in the Eastern House of Assembly, he also served as Minister of Trade, Minister of Local Government and Minister of Social Welfare in the former Eastern Region.
- Senator Justice Nsima Peters Akpabio, Ph.D ( Honouris causa) ( 1944 – 1999) hailed from Ukana Ikot Ntuen in Essien Udim LGA. Lawyer, Politician, Philanthropist with the Ekansima Scholarship Award to indigent children, he was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1981 and later, the Bench. Magistrate 2 and later magistrate 1, he opened his Akpabio Chambers & Co.; elected Senator of the Federal Republic in 1983, appointed judge of the High Court in 1995 by Akwa Ibom State Government and the first Annang to Serve in the three arms of government having been Executive Chairman of Essien Udim LGA prior to becoming an high court judge.
- HRM Akuku Akpan Enang Etor VIII MFR(1886 – 1991) hailed from Abiakpo Ikot Ntuen in Obot Akara LGA. He was the first Paramount Ruler of Ikot Ekpene Division and the defender of the Annang at the Sir Henry Willincks Commission of 1957 – 58. He is the first natural ruler in Akwa- Cross to receive a Papal Recognition of Knight of St. Gregory.
- Bishop Ephraim Silas Obot (1936 – 2009) hailed from Ikot Essien Ndot, Adiasim, Essien Udim LGA and was ordained a Priest of the Catholic Church in Rome. He was the first Bishop of the Cathedral, Ifuho and was also the Rector of Queen of Apostles Seminary, Afaha Obong, Abak LGA.
- HRM (Pastor) Effiong Udo Akpan Arthur, JP(1882 – 1994) hailed from Ndon Esa Nto Obio Ukim of Otoro Village in Abak LGA. He was a foundation member of the Ibibio Union, General President of Annang Welfare Union , President, Afe Nkuku Annang, Paramount Ruler of Abak and the Proprietor of Church of Jesus Christ Comprehensive Secondary School, Atai Otoro, Abak LGA.
- RT. Hon. Christopher Udoudo (1930 – 2005) hailed from Ebeibet Village, Afaha Obong Clan, Abak LGA. He was a teacher and politician, rising to become the Speaker of Cross River State House of Assembly and the first Annang to accomplish such a feat.
- Chief Charles Udom Umo Esu (1902 – 1982) hailed from Ikwen and was a teacher, trader and philanthropist.
- Dr. Imeh Sampson Umanah (1943 – 2015) hailed from Uruk Uso, Otoro, Abak LGA. He was a business mogul, politician and philanthropist. A two term Chairman of Abak, Dr. Ime Umanah was the founding Chairman of Newswatch Communications limited. He played a vital role in the creation of Akwa Ibom State.
- Engr. Samuel Edward Inyang, MNSE, OON hails from Ikot Ekpene LGA and is the former Managing Director, Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, former board member of Niger Delta Development Commission, CEO of Seyang Limited Aqwacoco Enterprises. He is the Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Akwa Ibom State University.
- Archbishop (Dr.) Elijah Mboho hails from Atai Otoro in Abak LGA. Mboho is the Prelate of Goodnews Community International. As a philanthropist, Archbishop Mboho’s GOSPEL VILLAGE is a country for the abandoned, neglected and the despised.
- Senator Emmanuel Ibok Essien hails from Ikot Abia Idem, Ikot Ekpene LGA. A civil engineer and politician, he is the Chairman Ritman Group of Companies and a former Deputy Chief Whip of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Ibok Essien is the Chairman Board of Governors of Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene.
- Regina Askia Williams hails from Ukanafun Ikot Ikpat in Ukanafun LGA. She is the First Annang to win the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria Contest. She was also the First Runner up in Russia’s Miss Charm and Nigeria’s representative and the first of such at Miss International in Japan. She received the Best Actress in Nigeria by Afro Hollywood London.
- His Excellency, Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio hails from Ikot Ntuen Ukana, Essien Udim LGA. He is a lawyer and politician who has served as Commissioner, Governor of Akwa Ibom State for eight years, Minority Leader of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and currently minister designate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
18.His Excellency (Chief) Donald Dick Etiebet (1934 – 2015) hails from Ikot Ekpuk, Orukanam LGA. He was a lawyer and politician who was Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria between 1979 and 1983. He was the first Annang to serve as the Governor of Cross River State.
- Chief Don Obot Etiebiet hails from Ikot Ekpuk, Oruk Anam LGA. He is a scientist and foremost politician. He is the founder of the first indigenous computer servicing firm in Nigeria and marketed the first ever branded Nigerian personal computer known as Obotex PC. He was Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources and founded National Centre Party of Nigeria (NCPN) in 1995.
- Ray Ekpu hails from Ikot Udo Ossoim in Ukanafun LGA. Ray Ekpu is a veteran journalist founding member and former Editor In-Chief of Newswatch Magazine.
- HRM Obong Cosmas Okon Akpan hails from Afaha Ikot Ebak in Essien Udim LGA. He is a former State Chairman of Traditional Rulers Council and is the longest serving Traditional Ruler in Akwa Ibom State.
- His Excellency, Senator Christopher Stephen Ekpenyong hails from Ikot Ukana in Obot Akara LGA. He is an engineer, former member of Cross River State House of Assembly, former Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State, the incumbent Senator representing Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District.
- Mr. Paul Usoro, SAN hails from Ikot Ntuen in Essien Udim LGA. Mr Paul Usoro is a lawyer and the first Annang lawyer to rise to the rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria. He is the first first Akwa Ibom person to become the President of Nigeria Bar Association.
- Vincent Enyeama hails from Efen Ikot Okoro in Ika LGA. He is an international award winning goal keeper and former captain of the Nigerian National Team, The Super Eagles.
- Engr. Udo Idung Okon(1934 – 2017) hailed from Nsak, Otoro Clan in Ikot Ekpene LGA. Engr. Okon was a Petroleum engineering consultant and Minister of State for Communication and was responsible for the introduction of telephone communication into Annang Land in the early 1980s which earned him the title Obong Unwana of Ikot Ekpene.
26.Dr. Uko Akpan Ekpo Umana hails from Ikot Obong Afaha Obong in Abak LGA. He is a foremost Annang folk musician with a unique brand that bears his name, Uko Akpan, a brand he started in 1947. He was bestowed with a Doctorate in Music by the University Uyo and is the first traditional musician in Akwa Ibom State to so honoured.
27.Hon. Justice Akpan Ekukinam Bassey, CON(1926 – 1986) hails from Afaha Ikot Ebakin in Essien Udim LGA. He was a judge of the Federal Revenue Court. He chaired the Federal Government’s three-man Tribunal to try those involved in foreign exchange racket in 1977. The foremost judge is the first Annang person to become a judge of a Federal High Court in Nigeria.
To be continued.
Made available for Kemfon Neke