At the meeting of the leaders and stakeholders of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District held at the Independence Hall, Abak on Sunday, 5th August, 2018 after a review of the political situation in the country, especially the rumors gaining currency daily concerning your planned defection to the All Progressives Congress (APC) which have not been refuted. We, your constituents, brothers, sisters and well-wishers are deeply concerned and wish to state as follows:
1. You have by the special grace of God been the leader of the Senatorial District from May 29, 2007, when you were elected the Governor of Akwa Ibom State till May 29, 2015 and from then till presently when you are serving and holding our mandate as our Senator.
2. In the course of your leadership, you have demonstrated uncanny leadership qualities that have not just endeared you to us but made us proud and also caused you to gain the confidence of not a few Nigerians which was amply demonstrated when, as a first timer in the hallowed chambers of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, your colleagues including those who have been in the Senate for upward of 3-4 terms, accepted your nomination by your party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as the Senate Minority Leader, (SML).
3. Considering your background and your pedigree we had looked towards this as an act of God foisted on you with a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment fortuitously orchestrated by God to position you as an opposition leader to lead and defend Nigeria and Nigerians from the impending calamities that not a few foretold were imminent with the unexpected election of President Buhari and the APC led Federal Government of Nigeria.
4. If what your roles were, when God entrusted and saddled you with the position of the SML in 2015 were in doubt then, three years down the road, you cannot still be oblivious of them today.
5. As an active participant in the Nigerian political process and governance from 2002 till date, you have seen, witnessed and can indeed personally testify of what a colossal failure the APC led government has been. You have seen how in a period of three years, all indices of growth in our country nosedived and went negative below the bar, how Nigeria has become amongst the ten poorest in the world, how Nigeria has overtaken India as a nation with the poorest population in the world, the unprecedented bloodbath and the killing sprees, the apparent complicity and or condonation of the government in the killings which have obviously depreciated and devalued human lives to nothingness, the over-concentration of the appointments of security chiefs within a tiny fraction and section of the country as if to lend credence and vent support to the palpable fears in the country of government’s complicity in the killings, the enthronement of nepotism as the new benchmark for appointment into sensitive government offices, the heightened subversions and violations of human rights and freedom, the unending breaches of our constitution in a democracy, the emasculation of the rule of law, the blatant disregards of the doctrine of separation of powers, the incessant assaults on the legislature and the judiciary. Our nation has never been through these kinds of threats of her corporate existence as witnessed under the present regime. The cleavages are so frightening beginning from ethnic sentiments to religious persuasions. Yet, the government doesn’t seem to know or be interested in the dangers it poses. The list of the failings and deficits of the APC’s led federal government is endless.
6. Our Dear Leader, it is on the strengths of the aforementioned that you are witnessing the unprecedented mass movement of Nigerian leaders and stakeholders who were key members of the APC and indeed prime factors/players in the change of government in 2015. They can’t all be wrong. They are congregating and partnering with your party, the PDP, to rescue and to save the nation from the path/brinks of disintegration where it is presently heading. This is, in our considered view, amounts to national sacrifice for which you should be at the vanguard. To contemplate moving into the APC will put you as a prime collaborator, conspirator and an accessory after the fact think of the evil wrecked on Nigeria and Nigerians by APC government. We think that you should resist every attraction to be on the negative side of history no matter what is at stake.
7. You can then imagine our surprise with the deafening rumors in the country that our own Leader is moving against the wind and planning to position himself as an anti-people Senator. Your silence has given credence to these rumors. We believe that your emergence as the leader of the opposition in 2015 against parliamentary customs and traditions was for a time like this.
8. We have gathered from these rumors that you are not happy with the government at home. Again we don’t want to believe this. If it were so we are sure that you have an unlimited access to your successor who deeply appreciates the fact that he came on board by the grace of God using you as an instrument. Accordingly, as a family if there is any misunderstanding one would’ve expected that is should be handled in the family domestically.
9. Our Leader, as you are aware, our entire Senatorial District has not benefited in any way in the last three years from the APC led Federal government. On the contrary, we have experienced untold hardship occasioned by the poor and directionless economic policies of the APC led administration which raised the cost of living to an all-time height that an average Nigerian cannot afford. All the promises that the APC made in 2014/2015 including restructuring which was first on their agenda have been jettisoned. Indeed President Buhari is today easily offended by the call for restructuring in spite of the fact that just last February a committee set up by his party headed by Malam el-Rufai, Gov of Kaduna state submitted its report on the matter which also proposed the resurrection of the satanic offshore/onshore dichotomy.
10. In all, there’s no iota of doubt that the APC led federal government is anti-people especially the people of the Niger Delta which include your Senatorial District.
11. In the light of the foregoing and many other ills of the APC government, we are advising that you please have a RETHINK and jettison any contemplation of leaving the PDP which is your party to the APC or any other party at this time when the party, and indeed, the Senatorial District is in dire need of your support to rescue Nigeria and save the future of our children. We are saying this mindful of the fact that you have a right, as an individual, to join, pitch tent and associate with any party of your choice.
12. In case, you are not minded to reason along with us or persuaded by our thought as expressed above, we, the undersigned, who represent the masses of your people in Akwa Ibom North West (Ikot Ekpene) Senatorial District, will NOT be able to go with you.
13. WE, the people of Akwa Ibom State North West Senatorial District hereby resolve to and reconfirm our faith in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and our total support for the 2nd term bid of His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, who from all available parameters has done well given the very daunting, hostile, harsh and directionless economic environment engendered by the ineptitude of the APC led Federal Government.
14. WE have also resolved to field an appropriate and suitable candidate on the platform of our party to reclaim the Senatorial seat in 2019, if you finally decided to defect to the APC as rumored on August 8 or 9, 2018.
Accept the assurance of our continuous love and brotherhood.