A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT A SPECIAL MEETING OF STAKEHOLDERS AND LEADERS OF THOUGHT IN EKET SENATORIAL DISTRICT HELD IN EKET ON 20TH JANUARY, 2017
Stakeholders and leaders of thought from Eket Senatorial District in Akwa Ibom State converged in Eket on Friday 20th January, 2017 to review developments in Akwa Ibom State under the able and charismatic leadership of His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel. The meeting was well attended by a cross section of leaders including present and past political office holders, Elders, Women and Youth Groups, Socio-political organizations, among others from the twelve (12) Local Government Areas that make up Eket Senatorial District. At the meeting, the following resolutions were made:
1. The meeting noted the tragedy caused by the collapse of Reigners’ Bible Church building in Uyo and condoled with the families of those who died in the unfortunate incident. The stakeholders wished those who were injured speedy and full recovery. The meeting also commended His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel for promptly leading rescue operations after the incident, even when he himself was in the building when it collapsed. By his prompt response, His Excellency once again demonstrated his humaneness, love and care for his people and indeed, for humanity.
2. His Excellency, Udom Emmanuel was commended for his achievements since assumption of office. At the meeting, it was proudly recalled that Governor Udom Emmanuel has so far initiated and even completed many laudable projects and sustained a high momentum in governance, even during this difficult economic period. His Excellency has not only maintained the State’s free education policy but has also addressed aggressively the challenges of infrastructure in the educational sector. Many schools are undergoing renovation while the Akwa Ibom State University has recorded increase in the number of accredited courses, thanks to the State Government’s support. A number of hospitals have been fully renovated or are undergoing renovation to boost the healthcare system. Worthy of note are the numerous road projects His Excellency has initiated, completed or are ongoing. His undaunted drive to industrialize the State is evident in the revamping of Peacock Paints Limited in Etinan while the Coconut Refinery, the Metering Company, Ibom Deep Seaport and others are in various stages of actualization. There are promises fulfilled.
3. That His Excellency has held passionately to his five-point agenda of Job Creation, Poverty Alleviation, Wealth Creation, Economic & Political Inclusion, Infrastructural Consolidation & Expansion. Like the planting of a seed, we are beginning to see the fruits. We commend His Excellency for maintaining focus in Governance.
4. The meeting noted with satisfaction His Excellency’s commitment towards strengthening the unity of Akwa Ibom people by reaching out to broad segments of the State through an all-inclusive approach to governance. This is important so that our people can work together and realize our abundant endowments in line with the Dakkada philosophy.
5. The meeting noted with deep appreciation the open endorsements recently given His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, to run for a second term by the people of Uyo and Ikot Ekpene Senatorial Districts respectively. We thank the two Senatorial Districts for their patriotic and far-sighted endorsements. Such initiative will ensure social justice and strengthen the fabric of Akwa Ibom unity.
6. Given the overwhelming current of opinion in the State that Eket Senatorial District should occupy the governorship seat for eight (8) years, after which the position moves to Uyo Senatorial District, we, the stakeholders and leaders of thought in Eket Senatorial District hereby throw our weight behind His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, for a second term in office. With Governor Udom Emmanuel’s excellent scorecard as Governor of Akwa Ibom State, it is quite appropriate that he be encouraged to run for another term so that he can fully utilize the opportunities he has created to further develop Akwa Ibom State.
7. Eket Senatorial District hereby adopts His Excellency, Governor Udom Emmanuel, as our sole candidate for the 2019 Governorship election in Akwa Ibom State.
8. Eket Senatorial District stakeholders and leaders of thought, thank the people of Akwa Ibom State and Nigerians generally for the support given to our son, His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel in office. We solemnly call for more of such support for His Excellency so that he can actualize his good intentions for Akwa Ibom people.
9. This is moreso, as other governors from the 2 (two) Senatorial Districts had served two terms respectively. It is only fair, just and equitable that Governor Udom Emmanuel who has performed very well even in this trying time be supported to run for two terms, too.